Pinehurst Golf, on the bucket list of every golfer young and old, is the crown jewel of Moore County.
So, yes when visiting Moore County, you should see this mecca for golfers and step back into history, but there is so much more to experience here which is why it ranks so high on a homebuyers list to live. Plus you will see how many affordable mortgage options there are to help you buy here!
Moore County, because it is so centrally located in the Sandhills of North Carolina, is within short drives to snow skiing, beaches, major airports, major industry/employment, and Fort Bragg yet also offers a high quality of life within its borders. Let’s see why…
Top 9 Reasons You Should Purchase a Home in Moore County, NC
- Niche 2015 Best Towns to Buy a House in NC – 3 Towns Make the List!
- Very Low Property Tax Rates
- All of Moore County is Eligible for 100% Financing
- Employment Opportunities
- World Renowned Pinehurst Golf
- Proximity to Fort Bragg
- Places to Eat and Lots of Outdoor Activities
- Retirement Living
- Great Mortgage Options to Fit Moore County
Moore County Places 3 in the “Niche 2015 Best Towns to Buy a House in North Carolina”
Niche.com provides “best of” lists in the U.S. and Moore County hit a home run by being the only NC county to place 3 towns in the top 25 best towns to buy a home in NC. Pinehurst ranked highest at #5 followed by Aberdeen at #19, and Southern Pines at #25. To comprise the list, they took into account the home values, property taxes, housing costs, the age of new home buyers, and other factors. Niche says “A high ranking indicates that a town attracts residents with a good housing market where property taxes and housing costs are in line with value”. See the actual methodology Niche used for ranking this list.
Moore County’s Very Low Property Tax Rate:
A recent WalletHub article lists North Carolina having the 19th lowest property taxes in the U.S. and this is why we hear so many moving from the northern states so surprised by how much their property taxes will decrease when they move here. Per the NC Department of Revenue, the Moore County property tax rate is only .4650 per $100 in tax valuation which is one of North Carolina’s lowest tax rates for 2015-2016 and is easily the lowest property tax rate when compared to the 9 surrounding counties. So even if you work in a neighboring county, it can make sense to own in Moore County for low property taxes. The next tax revaluation is scheduled for 2019 in Moore County which means the county tax office will determine the new tax value for each property. The property tax rate will be multiplied times the tax rate to determine the property tax you will pay.
Additional Property Tax Resources:
- See if you qualify for one of the 3 NC Property Tax Relief Programs for the elderly and disabled.
- Search Moore County Property Taxes
All areas in Moore County, NC is eligible for 100% financing through our USDA Guaranteed Program:
A very favorable home loan for first time or move up buyers purchasing a primary residence that many forget about is a USDA Guaranteed Mortgage. To qualify for a USDA home loan, the property must be in an eligible area and the good thing about Moore County is that the whole county including Pinehurst is eligible. Plus the median household income is $49,544 which is well below the USDA household income limit ($74,750 for 1- 4 members, $99,850 for 5-8 household size). So even if a buyer is looking to purchase a home for $400,000 in Pinehurst or Southern Pines, it is possible that the buyer could use a USDA loan for 100% financing! There lots of other financing options like VA, Reverse Mortgages, vacation home financing, and much more.
Additional USDA Resources:
Employment & Industry is Alive in Moore County
Moore County has historically experienced right at the national average unemployment rate and additionally you can live within the county and have a short drive to neighboring county opportunities. Most of the workforce within the county fall under healthcare which makes up 20%, county employees, and the golfing industry. BUT many Moore County residents, especially in the Northeast, are active duty, reservists, or retired military because of the close proximity to Fort Bragg.
Top 10 Employers: Source NCDOC Labor & Economic Division, Largest Employers
- FirstHealth of the Carolinas, Inc – 3,000 + employees
- Moore County Schools – 1,800 employees
- Pinehurst, LLC – 1,000 employees
- County of Moore – 500 – 999 employees
- Sandhills Community College – 500 – 999 employees
- St Josephs of the Pines – 500 – 999 employees
- Walmart Stores, Inc – 250 – 499 employees
- Pinehurst Medical Clinic – 250 – 499 employees
- Food Lion – 250 – 499 employees
- Pinehurst Surgical Clinic – 250 – 499 employees
Top 5 Manufacturers: Source NCDOC Labor & Economic Division, Largest employers
- Ingersoll Rand – 250 – 500 employees
- Kolcraft Enterprises, Inc – 100 – 249 employees
- Atex Technologies – 100 – 249 employees
- Pactiv, LLC – 50 – 99 employees
- Meridian Zero Degrees, LLC – 50 – 99 employees
Next Door to Fort Bragg, the Nation’s Largest Army Installation, Camp Mackall, & Pope Field
Service members have the luxury of being able to have just a short commute to great neighborhoods to raise a family. A lot of military retirees even settle into Moore County and own many of the local businesses as well such as K2 Solutions. Having these military bases next door helps Moore County’s economic environment including the stable housing market and successful businesses. Per the Moore County Partners in Progress Economic Development said “The convenient proximity to these installations makes Moore County an excellent location for defense-related companies and creates numerous opportunities for almost any type of business locating or starting up here. Many local companies have already been successful at winning lucrative military contacts:
- In 2014, 108 U.S. defense contracts totaling $35,664,507 were awarded to companies in Moore County. Compared to 2013, this is an increase of 48% in the number of contracts awarded and a 36.6% increase in the total dollar value.”
With a high number of Veteran and active service member residents, this obviously makes VA and VA jumbo loans very popular mortgage loan options.
VA Home Loan Resources:
- Access Your Bonus / 2nd Tier Entitlement so You Can Have Two VA Loans at Once
- Read Helpful VA Articles We Have Written Based on Real VA Home Loan Scenarios
Places to Eat and Lots of Activities for Residents & Visitors
If you thought Moore County is only about golf, you couldn’t be more wrong! There are so many outdoor activities and when you are done with that, you can experience some unbelievable and unique restaurants.
Dining Hot Spots – Some of the best places you never heard of!
If you have a hankering for barbeque and brisket, you need to try Pik n Pig in Carthage which has 3 generations of family experience in giving you the best southern dining experience. Pinehurst has several great must eats including Elliott’s on Linden, Drum & Quill Public House with a friendly pub atmosphere, and a unique pizza diner called Pinehurst Pizza. Southern Pines boasts eateries such as 195 Eclectic Cuisine that is off the beaten path but worth the find, and then there is Ashten’s that boasts a fine wine collection, a popular downtown pub hangout, and award winning dishes. There are many more places to check out. A popular watering hole and seafood grill is the Full Moon Oyster Bar in Clemmons, Southern Pines, and other NC locations. Favorites include homemade recipes, fresh oyster oysters, and other shellfish delights.
Things to do – Indoor or Outdoor Activities
Moore County has plenty to do inside, but it really excels in the outdoor activities and it even has a fun place for the pets in Pooch Park in the Pines which is a fully fenced-in dog park. Do you like to walk or bike trails? Try the 5.8 mile (of the planned 24 miles) Pinehurst Greenway System, Sandhills Horticultural Gardens which can keep you busy for hours in the beautiful scenery, Southern Pines Greenway System, Aberdeen Lake Park, Lake Luke Marion, Hillcrest Park, Weymouth Woods, and the All American Trail (a must visit!). Let’s say you want to try something different…There are 3 great Disc Golf courses which includes wooded and beautiful course catering to all skill levels.
Want to come inside, take a stroll in town, or enjoy some nightlife?
Check out Willie’s Lunch Box for Karaoke and live music, Triangle Wine Company offers themed Tap Takeovers and wine tastings, and Sunrise Theater where you can enjoy a cold beer or wine while watching a movie, opera, or ballet. Enjoy a stroll in historic Pinehurst Village. See what Donald Ross and the Tuft family saw back in 1895. Whether a sandwich at the Village Deli or rocking on the porch of the Pinecrest Inn Pinehurst is a storied place with something for everyone. If you want to pick up the pace a bit, just go a few miles over to downtown Southern Pines and see all of the happenings on Broad Street. A railroad town, visit all of the shops, restaurants, microbrews, and nightlife on both sides of the tracks. Oh ok, we know many of you want to know about the golf, so here you go!
World Renowned Pinehurst Golf – Play any of the 9 area courses
Famous Pinehurst has hosted the best golfers in the world and the good thing is you too can walk through the same pine tree lined courses which they have. Pinehurst has actually been the site of more championships than any other golf course in the country including the U.S. Open and Women’s U.S. Open in 2014. Pinehurst offers some very affordable golf retreat packages where you can experience the 9 famous courses.
- No. 1 which was originally opened in 1898!
- World Championship level golf on No. 2 which hosts the U.S. Open, designed in 1907
- No. 3 that has the tiny greens built in 1910
- No. 4, the newest course was designed by Tom Fazio in 2000
- No. 5 opened in 1961 and one of Pinehurst’s prettiest holes, par 3 15th, is on this course
- No. 6 is a little further from the original 5 & “Nestled amid the quiet pines”
- No. 7 is the second longest course and has a lot of color during your 18 holes
- No. 8 is described by Pinehurst as combining the classical concepts with the whimsical snarls
- No. 9, a classic Jack Nicklaus design, Pinehurst says it “will test your mind and your true golfing ability”
Now, imagine if you live in Moore County or better yet, in Pinehurst or better yet, retired in Pinehurst! You could play some of the most beautiful and revered courses in the World.
Retirement Living in Moore County – Pinehurst Ranked Best Place to Retire in North Carolina
Golf, horses, walking trails, beautiful homes, unique dining, central to all NC offers, and affordable living including low property taxes. These and everything we have mentioned in this article demonstrate why so many retirees have chosen Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Aberdeen, and the rest of Moore County as HOME.
In a September 2015 article “The 10 Best Places to Retire in North Carolina” written by www.onlyinyourstate.com, it chose Pinehurst as the # 1 place to retire. The article states “Pinehurst is a golf lover’s dream. With one of the best golf courses in the nation, the whole town has a resort-like feel. The best part is you can retire your automobiles for a simple golf cart that will get you around town. Pinehurst is also ranked as one of the safest places in North Carolina”.
Seniors looking to buy a home here have options of conventional financing, FHA, USDA or VA 100% financing, cash, or keep the cash in investments by using a Reverse Mortgage with no payments required. If you think retiring in Moore County or somewhere in North Carolina is for you, contact our local team today.
Now I Want to Buy a Home in Moore County! Help me With a Mortgage to Make it Happen!
Whether you are a first time or other buyer looking for 100% financing, active duty or retired Veteran looking for no money down, a senior citizen looking to live comfortably in retirement, or someone looking to relocate to enjoy what Moore County has to offer, we have the mortgage options to meet your needs.
Mortgage Options That Fit Perfectly for Moore County Areas include:
- USDA – 100% financing available in the whole county
- VA – 100% financing up to $424,100 or VA Jumbo loans to purchase a high end property
- Reverse Mortgage – Seniors 62 or older can use a reverse mortgage to purchase or refinance a home with no payments required **
- Jumbo Loans – Buy a luxury home with a loan over $484,350
- FHA – A low down payment option available that is flexible on credit
- NC Housing Products – MCC Tax Credit up to $2000 per year or Down Payment Assistance
- Investment Properties – Build your investment portfolio with a rental property
- Purchase/Rehab – Found a home that needs work? Roll it all into one loan!
Contact Us for Buying in Moore County NC
[av_button_big label=’Talk to our Local Moore County Mortgage Lending Experts’ description_pos=’below’ link=’manually,http://teammovemortgage.com/contact-us/’ link_target=’_blank’ icon_select=’no’ icon=’ue800′ font=’entypo-fontello’ custom_font=’#ffffff’ color=’theme-color’ custom_bg=’#444444′ color_hover=’theme-color-subtle’ custom_bg_hover=’#444444′][/av_button_big]
** Borrowers must continue to keep the property in good repair, pay taxes and insurance, and occupy the home as a primary residence