How to Use the SC Property Tax Exemption
Veterans have sacrificed to defend our country and freedom. First of all, disabled Veterans with VA eligibility are exempt from the VA funding fee. But in addition, there is the SC property tax exemption. No property taxes!!
Who qualifies for the SC Property Tax Exemption?
South Carolina is very specific in the qualifications for the SC property tax exemption. They define eligible residents as all persons meeting the following classifications. Those declared permanently and totally disabled by the Social Security Administration, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, other state or federal agencies are eligible for a homestead exemption in an amount set by the General Assembly. This also applies to persons over age 65. So, persons 100% permanently and totally disabled from a service-connected disability by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, an Ex-POW, or a Medal of Honor recipient may be tax exempt of property taxes in SC. Additionally, the tax exemption applies to the surviving spouse and may be transferred when purchasing another dwelling.
Process to file for the SC Property Tax Exemption
- Obtain a signed statement from VA stating the Veteran “is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service connected disability as well as the effective date”
- The property must be in the name of the Veteran or the Veteran and his/her spouse **
- Submit a copy of the deed
- Proof of 4% approved residency. For Horry County to obtain the 4% residency tax rate, you must complete follow this application process first
- Complete the Application for Exemption which is Form PT401
South Carolina Department of Revenue welcomes questions about this program. Call 803-898-5482 and they will be glad to help. Also, remember the home must be purchased first. Then the owner may request the exemption.
** Because the home must be in the name of the Veteran, a VA must include property taxes initially in the escrow portion of the payment.
In addition to lowering your property tax bill, contact us to learn more about Reverse Mortgages with no required monthly mortgage payment.
Contact Team Move for qualifying for a mortgage today
New job? Job Change? Employment Gap? We may be able to help!